Mar 23, 2013

Three Years Of Threads And Fabric Clippings



A good 10 inches of threads in a net bag.


Doin' a few odd jobs, drinking coffee and eating Lindt Mini Eggs ! What a way to spend a bright, sunny Saturday morning. 
Sunlight has been scarce around here lately. The robins have finally shown up ! ...  and as I sat at my sewing machine I noticed robins and a female cardinal taking turns gobbling up some bright red berries hanging from a vine (read WEED).  Who knew they had a taste for these fruit of a noxious weed? 
I hate this weed, don't know it's name and spend my summers pulling yards of it out of my hedge. This one piece managed to escape me and was twined up the pool fence. I even took a pic of the red berries against the snow ! If this is a delicacy for the robins, I will be sure to save them some next year ! 
Also, out there, was a very large wild rabbit ... I've seen her footprints but never her, until this morning ... everything's coming up SPRING !  
Which leads me to my bag of clippings ... threads, wool and fabric that I have been saving for a few years, pounding down the pile every once in a while. Today I jammed it all into a tube of netting and tied it outside where the birds congregate ... hoping they will appreciate this 10" of fabulous nesting materials.  ; D

Many years ago I received this list of 'Reasons To Buy Fabric' (as if I really needed a reason) and just found it again this morning as I moved and re-arranged a few items in my studio.  
It was taken from "71 Reasons To Buy Fabric", compiled by Frances Tankersley of Jackson, TN, from contributions by members of OnLine Quilters Guild. 
Below are just 40 of the 71 reasons ... I feel even these are worth sharing if you have the time to read ! Some editing for Canadian readers. I know it's long but has a chuckle or two !

1. It insulates the closet.
2. It helps keep the economy going ... our  duty to support cotton farmers, textile mills and quilt shops.
3. It is less expensive and more fun than psychiatric care.
4. "Oh, it's not for me ! I'm buying it for a friend !"
5. My cat/dog needs a fresh, new pile of fabric to sleep on and roll around on at least once a week.
6. Because it's on sale !
7. Okay, it wasn't on sale, but by the time it was, all the good stuff would be gone.
8. A sudden increase in the boll weevil population might wipe out the cotton crop for the next ten years.
9. I'm participating in a contest ... the one who dies with the most fabric wins !
10.It keeps without refrigeration and you don't have to cook it to enjoy it. Also, you never have to feed it, change it, wipe it's nose or walk it.
11. I need extra weight in the trunk of my car for traction on snowy, icy roads.
12. Because I'm worth it !
13. It's non-fattening.... a fat quarter has 100% fewer calories than a hot fudge sundae. 
14. I'm working on building a complete collection.
15. Like dust, it's good for protecting previously empty spaces in the house, like the ironing board, the laundry hamper, the dining room table ...
16. It's a medical test to see if your husband is still alive ... if so, a fabric purchase will make him start fussing about 'more fabric in the house'.
17. When an earthquake comes all the quilt/fabric shops might be swallowed up ... never to be seen again !
18. Because it's there !
19. It's prettier than salt and pepper shakers.
20. It won't break !
21. An interest in fabric purchases will leave you no time to spend in the pool hall/stealing hubcaps.
22. It's cheaper to cover the floor with than new carpeting and you can change the look more often.
23.The devil made me do it !
24. Stress from dealing with the Fabric Control Officer (hubby) made me do it.
25. It's the only remotely artistic thing I have ever done.
26. If all else fails, you can use it for cleaning rags.
27. I might set up my own fabric shop and I'll need a starter inventory.
28. To keep the bed from falling down ... we all know that most quilters store part of their stash under the bed.
29. To save a beautiful fabric design for posterity ... they might stop making it and be lost to the world forever !
30. Neighbourhood children might need just the right colour for a scavenger hunt.
31. I need something new for show and tell at guild.
32. I have to keep up with my friend who has more variety than I do.
33. Because I can't live without it !
34. It fights the 'empty nest' syndrome ... hate an empty room.
35. Because this fabric talks to me and calls my name !
36. It comes in whatever size/quantity I want.
37. It's important to invest in cotton futures.
38. I'm too old to have sex (suggested by a quilter's husband).
39. I have new shelves ... if I don't fill them up, they won't look right !
40. They get angry when you steal it  ...

Have a great weekend everyone !

6 comments:

  1. Love that list! It's great.

    I was looking through your gallery, and remember seeing your corn stalks quilt, must have been at Quilt Canada in Halifax, but maybe somewhere else. I was wondering if I could ask, do you paint the fabric before you threadpaint, and how do you deal with distortion. I'm printing my photos onto fabric, but distortion is a big issue. Hooping and blocking only go so far! Thanks for any suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the list, especially - It insulates the closet. I could/should use that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by !
    I have 2 corn stalk quilts and one you may have seen at The Silos a few years ago ... I was guest fibre artist during the Quilt And Fibre Art Festival, May 24-28, 2011. My 2nd one you may have seen last fall at the 'Fibrations' in Burlington (I'll bet you were there, too !). This 2nd thread painting is going in a show tomorrow at the Elora Centre For The Arts, running from Mar.22 - May 5, 2013.
    Anyway, yes, on occassion I paint a background first then I apply my hand-painted detail pieces and then do all the stitching. The painted background becomes the 'bokeh' of my threadpainting. We'll have to have lunch and swap techniques ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is exactly what my stash does, Lucy ... thanks for stopping by !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those threads! You have given me the idea to do the same thing in my yard. The chickadees are showing up now, and I also have seen some tracks in the back 40--they are probably dog, but maybe they are rabbit tracks too!
    Got a chuckle out of the list. LOL (PS--enjoyed reading your comment above).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dahn !
      It has a few chuckles ... thank you for taking the time to read my blog ... I'm just lovin' the company !

      Delete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.