Apr 21, 2013

FAMILY TIES

I know this post has nothing to do with art (which has been rather allusive lately) but is about another of my passions and this week I was very fortunate to get copies of old photos of some ancestors and am proud to show them.

Mr.& Mrs. Linklater (she is Anne Spence)
from the Isle of Hoy, Orkney Islands, Scotland
He (no name as of yet) was a sailor and a Dane.


Their daughter Margaret married John Currie below, (John being one of four brothers who all bought land in Huron County in 1850) after emigrating to Canada.
John Currie died 3 weeks after their marriage of pneumonia. 
Margaret was also one of (reportedly) 6 Linklater siblings who braved the Atlantic Ocean for parts unknown, in Canada. 
Her sister Anne married Robert Currie, John's younger brother, my gr.gr.grandfather. 



 
John Currie died 3 weeks after their marriage of pneumonia. Margaret was also one of (reportedly) 6 Linklater siblings who braved the Atlantic Ocean for parts unknown, in Canada. 
Her sister Anne married Robert Currie, John's younger brother, my gr.gr.grandfather. 
John & Elizabeth's daughter Virginia Currie
                    (doesn't she look like a movie star of the '30's?)

Frances June Currie, 94 yrs ... daughter of John & Elizabeth Robertson Currie


Last Monday I threw a bag in my truck and took a trip north of here to visit my aunt for a few days.  She is only 14 years older than me and we get along like sisters. And I needed the break to clear my head ... I always have a bed there and she is a great cook and we get many of games of Scabble under our belts !
When I'm there we try to visit this lovely cousin ... we all being descendants of 4 Currie brothers who emigrated to Canada, from Scotland, in 1849. They were just young men at the time who came here with their widowed mother, Margaret McCartney Currie and two sisters.
Frances will be 95 this June and she is the feistiest old gal I have ever known. Her favourite topic of conversation is world politics, town politics and the deplorable lack of education in our high schools! ;D ... and we daren't argue much !
A quick visit with Frances lasts several hours and it is non-stop discussions. 
She shared some of her photos with me and the old couple at the top of this page are also my gr.gr.gr.grandparents ... I feel so lucky to have these photos ! I like delving into my ancestry but just haven't the time these days. 
I've been thinking that that smiling face of hers needs to be art !

6 comments:

  1. I too love old photos like these, even when they are of no personal historical significance. I look at those faces and try to think what would life have been like for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy,
    I, too, muse about these old folk and from and admire what they did and were capable of.
    Crossing the Atlantic scares the bejeebies out of me today ! Can't imagine how it was nearly 200 yrs ago ... with children ! !! ... knowing the time that it would take ... and this family came when it was winter ! And then heading out into parts unknown for land that you had to hack a trail to ! Yikes, I'm a pussy !

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW how fortunate!!! WOW WOW

    (and yes, she does look like a movie star!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Monika, unfortunately, I never met her and she is at the end of her days , I hear.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sharron, I have owed a visit to your wonderful blog for a while. Love the family history, reminds me I need to do some updates on the family history myself. My dad told me some great stuff years ago about some of the pictures he passed down and I need to get it written down. Keep on stitching as permitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie,
      Thanks for commenting on my blog !
      I am guilty myself of putting off the chore of writing down history ... it's all 'upstairs' but that won't help anyone when I'm gone ;), so get to it !
      I'll watch for posts on your blog !

      Delete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.