Apr 27, 2013

An Old Favourite

I rescued this very old piece, that I had done in the late eighties (when I was so busy trying every craft out there) from being tossed in the bin ! 
It had been in the attic until recently re-discovered and is stained, the colours are faded, but I hung it on the wall outside my studio door and pass it every day. 
It has been calling my name ever since !
The scene was from one of my own photos of the point at Granite Saddle Campground, Killbear Provincial Park, near Parry Sound, Ontario. 
I have done the same scene in as many different needlework disciplines as I could while learning all about embroidery and fibre art.
This particular piece was to be a new craft 'quilt' block .... but ... well quilting just isn't my 'thing'. 
I'm not saying I don't like quilts ! 
I just prefer to make a picture/landscape/scene !

Below is my version of the quilt block ... a 24"x 24" piece of styrofoam that I drew my favourite scene on. Then layers of cloth, just larger than the sections of my drawing, were pushed into the styrofoam along the drawn lines ... with a kitchen knife. So Quick !  A neat thing to make as a gift in a hurry ... and it weighs nothing ! I put a border on it to make it look more quiltery .... the border being wrapped around and punched into the back ... so slick !


Needlepointed - approx 3" x 4"

One of my earlier stabs at free-motion machine embroidery
using my own hand-painted fabrics.
Gold metallic threads glisten in the water.
approx. 8" x 10"











As it whispered my name as I passed it today, I decided to scratch an idea down and think (not absolute yet) that I would like to do it again, this time as free-motion machine lace on water-soluble. As I am still working on my study of the Group Of Seven I am thinking to simplify and paint it in the style of Lauren Harris, who just happens to be my favourite painter 

Not as simplified as I'd like ... needs more work.
5" x7" sketch

The sky looks heavy but that is probably due to the ink lines ... I will try to stick to the colouring of the 'quilt block' above. 
Here I am ... still working with a beloved scene ... it never gets old for me. Forty years of sitting on the beach here for 3 weeks at a time, watching 4 kids grow and flourish here  ... now they bring their kids here ! Life repeats itself.


24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful collection. Thank you for showing us how very different - yet same, they all are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to have the record - children and grandchildren growing up and visiting the same place - so precious. We have the same in Scotland, on Deeside in Aberdeenshire. I go to it in my mind so often and have sketched and photographed it many times down the years. I've not yet stitched in yet, interestingly. Now there's a thought .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's so nice to be able to watch the grandchildren start to enjoy this beautiful place ... and they will share it with their children, probably.
      You should definitely start stitching your memories of your 'beautiful' place !

      Delete
  3. That picture takes me back...camping with my dad. I haven't been up in that neck of the woods in a very long time. Thank you for sharing your favourite place with us:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mary Ann,
    See my post 'Well Rested And Rejuvinated !', Sept 2012, for some photos of this wonderful place ... it will bring back more memories.
    You should definitely get up there again !
    I'll be going back for 3 weeks this coming September.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had forgot about Harold's Point beach....that view of the shore....lovely:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos ... as I said, I'll be there this Sept. ... we could sit and have coffee by the fire !

      Delete
  6. Sharron, each of these pieces is such a delightful interpretation. Can't wait to see what you do with the 'Group of Seven' piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marny ... I still have some obligations to deal with but can hardly wait to get started !

      Delete
  7. I love your early thread painting. The next one should be interesting as well. I love Lauren Harris! Tom Thompson is my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Holly ... I'm in love with Tom Thompson ... that mysterious, shy man !
      Actually, he reminds me so much of my grandfather.

      Delete
  8. I love all the different styles. Can't wait to see what you do next with your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ... it's like working in a series ... years long ! ... I still haven't gotten my water-soluble ready ... tsp !
      Soon !

      Delete
  9. Very very interesting....just love the differences and the similarities...love it

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really lovely compositions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you elle ... I really appreciate your comment

      Delete
  11. So interesting to see all the different interpretations of that one scene. I love your thread painting of the water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks so much Terry !
    I love it when I have visitors !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for commenting on my blog. The crack in the piece is a product a lot like the Encaustic I use -but it is thicker and makes the piece crack after using it. The show was fabulous and yes, you must be very tired.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are welcome, Lucy.
    Thanks for the info ... now I will have more to say when someone asks me questions today ... off to do the last day of gallery sitting this afternoon !
    Glad you came to see Threadworks 2013 !

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad I came across your blog.I have just decided to focus on this type of work.I love everything stitching, but as you get older, you just can't do everything can you?
    New Follower.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so glad you found my blog, too !
    Yes, at some point we have to do the checks and balances and make priorities.
    I visited your blog and love the colour and textures of your work ... but no place to comment ?!
    Hope to see you back again.
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.