Aug 8, 2013

Lake Huron Sunset

I might have bitten off more than I can chew ! Once this jumbled mess of threads was pinned down I knew I was in for a long time at couching this down. In case you are wondering why I didn't stitch it, right from the start, onto my canvas with my sewing machine ... I don't know, I guess I thought it would be easier ? Well, lessoned learned !
... first day of hunt & poke ...
It appears that I am a lot older, stiffer, and more myopic than I ever realized.
This 'couching' down of the tree branches/leaves through 5 layers of materials is taking it's toll on my poor hands, my old eyes and my old back  (hunching so close ... the bifocals aren't cutting it) !
... so many 'needles' to nail down ...

But the finish line is just ahead and it is all well worth it. I have fallen in love with this piece ... so much so, that I am starting to ask myself those dreaded questions ... will the ink fade ?... how soon ? ... how long will the crumpled brown paper hold up ? ... is there something I can spray on this piece to protect it ?
I have even played with the idea of making glicee's ... thereby maybe making some money from it. 
It bothers me that clients pay a pretty penny (oops, nickel) for fibre art but have no guarantee that it will be something that they will ever be able to pass down through the generations like they can with a good watercolour.
Oh well ... I do fibre art for my own pleasure ... I really do !
I can never charge an hourly rate ... if only !
If a client likes it enough I can at least instruct them in the care and cleaning to last at least their lifetime and the money they put down will have been well spent.
.started stitching points down Aug 1 ... hope to be finished today Aug. 8 !

The end is so near I can almost taste it ... but on 'break' now and heading for a swim. Back to the grindstone before lunch. Stay tuned !
ps. ... I have bent my needle !


6 comments:

  1. This is beautiful - and I think stitching directly onto the canvas with your machine wouldn't have given quite the same textured 'living' surface, maybe. So well worth the effort.
    Like me, you work for pleasure rather than profit - all that fun and no pressure. Aren't we the lucky ones?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, such a beautiful piece. I think CS is right....the texture you are achieving using a hand stitch has so much more depth. It is so rich looking.

    And indeed, pleasure rather than profit. But I find sometimes I can't bear to part with my most recent pieces until I have completed a few more...then I forget the sore shoulders, pricked fingers and broken needles!! Onward!!! (now where did I put the advil???!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. It is sew gonna be worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow That is a lot of couching! Gorgeous work though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooops ... wearing one of my other hats again !

    ReplyDelete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.