Sep 26, 2013

Peaceful, Enjoyable & Productive ;)

Hello friends and readers ... I'm back !
I communed with the trees (I think I might have a bit of 'Druid' in me) ... sat in the warmth of the September sun, and felt so calm and peaceful.  
3 weeks away from the hustle and bustle of home, city and family has definitely helped me get a focus on the coming year.






I had a glorious 'alone' time, read 4 1/2 paperbacks, did 3 ink sketches, almost completed a fibre piece, painted and backed a large canvas for the Group of Seven show (that took almost 2 days to do because the canvas and interfacing were very tough to get a needle through) - AND I may have a commission from some people I met there !

Last year, I did a few small fibre pieces that were totally inspired by my stash of 'odds and ends' and saved 'bits and pieces'. 
A lot of that stuff went with me again, this year. 
Just by being unfocused I was able to see the possibilities ... I had, for instance; 
- some strips of excess fabric cut from the top and bottom of a previous piece - because they were stitched and intriguing, barcodes, thinking, to myself, that if I were a quilter, I would probably put them into a quilt ! ... so I stashed them
- I had the paper bag from a bottle of merlot along with Maggie Grey's "from image to stitch"... where she makes good use of paper in works   
- I had a strip of hand-painted fabric that was wonder-undered - but I neglected to take an iron - heating up my kettle and trying to iron with that didn't work !
- there was a string of free-motion machined leaves that I had done on water-soluble almost 20 years ago !
- a novelty yarn that was made in India - charcoal coloured with bits of paper wound in it - turns out it can be couched and/or stitched right into fabric !
- I had pieces of birch bark from the wood we bought for campfires 
And lo and behold all these items were similar in colouring.
Before long I had a forest of trees on my table with complimentary tree fungus (the birch bark). 
the initial layout
some machine stitching nailed down the wonder-undered hand-painted centre strip




the novelty yarn was machine couched down and lended an interesting accent






the beginning of the changing colours

My 'forest' piece is almost done ... just a few more hand stitches ... and I will make the backing smaller then find an appropriate colour to mount this on before I put it on a stretcher frame.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome home - you were missed!
    These are a lovely record of what sounds like a really special time .. and your sewing machine went along too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CS ;) Yes, my machine went with me as I was alone for 2 of the weeks and what an ideal time to get some work done.
      We camped for 42 yrs without electricity but for the last 3 yrs. we've treated ourselves to the comforts of home away from home.

      Delete
  2. Amazing the power of nature Sharron - the colours and textures in your photos inspire. So pleased to have had an afternoon with you and now to explore your blog...I will be back!
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bethany !
    It was a great afternoon and I truly enjoyed getting to know the woman behind Fibreworks Kingston !
    Life is still travelling 100 m/hr. but I can see it calming soon.
    I will be in touch soon !
    Sharron

    ReplyDelete
  4. What lovely work, this really speaks to me. So tactile, I can almost hear the paper rustling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it rustled all right ... my needle is pooched from all the hand work I have done lately and I'm wondering if it is because of the paper ... but I'll get more needles as I love working with paper !
      Thanks Pam.

      Delete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.