Nov 1, 2013

Hi There !

Hi ! 
I can't believe I've been silent this long … not like me not to have something to blather about !
I did post a message a few weeks ago but it went astray somewhere … floating out in cyber-space I suspect … can't even remember what it said … a senior moment, I guess, for me and my computer.

I have been busy with a multitude of things, finishing up bits and pieces of art, helping to take down a show, attending art openings, taking on a new exec. position, and stitching a lot of black thread on grey canvas (really hard on the eyes) on a new piece of art. This piece is too large to sew at my studio desk and the dining room chandelier casts a lot of shadows even with my lamp trying to cast them aside !
stitching straight onto, inter-faced backed, painted canvas

This past Monday I spoke at a guild where I started out 31 yrs ago. They treated me like gold and I didn't see one head nod off over her knitting (this group are marathon knitters, they sit down and pull out their latest project out of their bag and knit through the general meeting, stop for coffee break and get back at it through 'show and tell' (with the appropriate glances and ooh's and ahh's) and continue knitting by rote as they view what the speaker has brought to share … lol !  I am not a knitter, so I marvel. This guild has been going strong since 1977. I joined them in 1982, pregnant with my 4th child, needing a night out. My neighbours had been trying to get me to join for a couple of years but I wasn't interested in 'embroidery' ! I loved pencil, pen?ink and watercolour !!!!
In the fall of '83 I took a course there, in free-motion machine embroidery, and I was off to the races ! Realizing that I could use my beloved sewing machine for art was such an eye-opener ! My machine, at the time, was a used '1960's Kenmore from Sears. I called her the 'Virgin', as no man's hands had ever touched her. I lovingly did her maintenance and she did anything I wanted her to. Bits and pieces eventually started to fall off of her even as she motored on. I finally went to a local sewing machine store (sales and repair) and asked if they had any old, heavy machines. The owner thought I was nuts not to want a new-fangled affair, but she reluctantly led me to the basement and straight to a box that held a c.1974 Kenmore with zig-zag. Had not even been out of the box ! This machine is also a virgin and is every much as good, at what we do, as the first. I highly recommend an intimate relationship with your sewing machine.
the swiftly rolling clouds caused so much shadow

love these corn fields … acres and acres of them 


Anyway, I leave with a few pic.'s taken while out for a drive on Tuesday … a wildly changing sky made it hard to capture the sun on those apples … shining like beacons only moments before and 500m. away !

7 comments:

  1. i miss my 84 White, she purred for 21 years and did amazing and many things, then turned up her toes--they don't build them right anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cut my teeth on my mother's old treadle Singer, then a used White was given to me in 1970 … still have her ! Yeah, they don't make them like they used to !

      Delete
  2. I started on an old Kenmore too. Good gosh -That was so wonderful to read!! I feel like I got a little glimpse into who you are. That was a great story. I want to read more! Lol I guess I will just have to go read it again. Haha
    X O Monika

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on an old Kenmore too. Good gosh -That was so wonderful to read!! I feel like I got a little glimpse into who you are. That was a great story. I want to read more! Lol I guess I will just have to go read it again. Haha
    X O Monika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You crack me up, Monika ! I have lots more stories to tell … watch for one about my book illustrations … coming soon as I clean out my 'stuff' and remember lots … hahaha

      Delete
  4. Love your black thread on grey canvas - fantastic depth. I'm still hooked, on and off, on black and white but this is not a variation I had considered. Can you help me? What sort of canvas did you use - and I presume it was unstretched?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks CS.
    I used painter's canvas, unstretched, but basted a med.wt. interfacing to the back at 3" intervals to help keep the shrinking down to a minimum. Have fun !

    ReplyDelete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.