Oct 2, 2015

She Who Talks With Ravens

I have been missing for too long ! 
I have just been very busy, this summer, with shows, proposing shows and miscellaneous family affairs.

On Sept. 1, I helped 2 others hang the '18 SQUARE' show at The Rotundra Gallery, at City Hall, Kitchener. It came down Sept. 30th. and is heading to a large booth at The Creative Sewing Festival in Toronto, for the 16,17,18 of Oct. 
'18 SQUARE' will continue to more galleries for the next couple of years ! 

Our other successful show, of last year, 'CELEBRATE THE SEVEN', will travel to The John Parrot Gallery in Bellville in January, 2016 and onwards to The Homer Watson Gallery, May, 2016 ! 
Both of these shows are booked at other galleries until 2018. Many thanks to Maggie Vanderweit, Bethany Garner, Wendy O'brien and myself ;)
Then, as a group, we have a new show (untitled as of yet) for the Wellington County Museum & Archives, for April, 2017, in celebration of Canada's 150th Anniversary ! Lots of fun ahead !

Personally, my work has been at a standstill as far as any thread painting being done, but my 3 week camping holiday (Sept. 3-27) was looming and I knew I'd get back into the groove. 
I did, finally, after lots of company the 1st week, get back to my Inukshuk that had been languishing on my table while I photographed the 18 Square pieces ... all 24 of them ! 

Anyway, the Inukshuk piece needed a wet look and I got right to work attaching bits of smoke and rust chiffon to the rocks and I am happy with the 'wet' look. 

basting stitches still holding un-sewn part of the piece
One of my guests this past Tues. liked it too ! 
She claimed it for herself as soon as I unrolled my canvas to show her ... Still unfinished 😍 ! That makes the 2nd piece sold before it's finished this year !

I was especially lucky one evening at sunset to be behind a couple having coffee while the sun went down. As she waited for him to come back for a canoe ride, she sat on the end of the canoe that was beached on a bit of 'dune' that Mother Nature was busy rehabilitating with beach grass ... A few small trees had gained foothold there .... all of this silhouetted against the late evening sky ! 
Of course I hadn't taken my camera down that evening so I went back the next night and got some photos of the trees and grass, but the woman & canoe had gone :(
Definitely inspired me to find my sketchbook and draw the scene for a future piece, with the silhouette done in black thread on water-soluble 😀 !
Beaver Dams beach
The weather was fantabulous this September !

Another inspiration was one of those enlarged photos printed and sold for home decor. This particular one was a late fall photo of pines covered in hoarse frost ... Which made me realize that I have lots of such photos (which I could easily change the seasons of) and use white thread on water- soluble ! 
Can hardly wait to add white trees to my collection of water-soluble trees !

Now ... the reason for my title ... 'She Who Talks With Ravens' !
One early morning last week, I was getting ready to leave the park and head home (a 4 hr. drive) to attend my 'diet' class. Out behind the little facility, where I was attending to an early morning ritual ;), I heard a ruckus that sounded like a crow and a racoon having an argument over a choice morsel on the ground. I tried to look through the brush but saw nothing. I went to my trailer, put on my backpack, picked up my walking sticks and headed down the road to the showers (quite a little walk for someone who doesn't walk much, but I had been practising for 2 1/2 weeks ;). As I walked I kept hearing mutterings behind me and turned around 3 times to see who may be out for a walk ... nothing ! There was no one camping on my road so I checked a few empty campsites to see where the noise was coming from ... not for a minute did I suspect it might be the bears that were roaming the park !! 
Anyway, as I stood dumbstruck, I heard the noise again ... from above me ! 
On the lowest branch of the tree sat a raven, and he started to talk ... low, gentle chattering from his throat. Then I introduced myself and told him how handsome he was. While I talked he cocked his head and listened ... then he talked ... then I talked ! he had a very extensive vocabulary of sounds ... I was mesmerized !
It was one of the most awesome experiences I have ever had. I kept up the conversation as long as possible, but I was starting to get a crick in my neck. I finally told him how lovely it was to talk to him, but I had to get to the showers ... I was on a time line ;) I swear we exchanged conversation for 10 minutes !
I got his picture on my phone, just don't know how to download it to my computer ! HE had been the noise I kept hearing behind me ... he followed me down that camp road !!!! There were tears in my eyes as I walked away. I looked back a few times and finally he was gone. My only witness was a man out riding his bike who passed us three times.
I know that this was something very important ... have to do some 'raven' research ;)


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, it sounds as if you have had a very busy (and successful!!) summer. Congrats!
    And your story about the raven, how amazing. I think it is so easy for us at times to lose our connection with nature so your close encounter of the corvid kind (!!) sounds pretty amazing. Almost spiritual. I love crows and ravens, so intelligent! And chatty, too, apparently! And lovely to see you are back at your stitching again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marny ... always so nice to have you comment !
    I haven't had much computer time since I've come back but will be around to visit shortly ;)
    Thank you !

    ReplyDelete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.