Jan 19, 2017

94 Years Ago !

Hello and Happy New Year !!  I hope wonderful art for all of you this year ! And for me, too ;)

This post doesn't really have much to do with art but it is of another subject close to my heart. 
Years ago I started to collect and compile notes on the many branches of my family. Wow ! We are the combination of so many others !!!  
Very soon, though, I became over-whelmed by the drawer full of written notes, computer print-offs, old photos, copies of emails from long, lost cousins, etc.  Daunting stuff when it came to compiling my burgeoning drawer into a comprehensive document. I jst couldn't get to the job at hand.
But last Novemeber I got the push required to get my butt in gear and start the process. My American cousin was writing his memoirs and I felt he needed to have the facts of his Canadian heritage ;) So, I got involved tackling the many boxes of photos, letters and keepsakes that I have been fortunate to inherit. This is where something fabulous and fascinating came to my attention !
In my grandfathers' box was a large envelope that contained a lock of hair,  and a dried bridal bouquet and boutiniere !! And so well preserved after almost 94 yrs !
Grandmother's 3 Red Carnations with white & pink satin ribbons
Grandfathers' Boutiniere 
detail of pink & ivory satin ribbons ribbons

The dried flowers are my grandmothers bridal bouquet and my grandfathers boutiniere from the day they were married March 13, 1923, when she was 17 yrs. old and he was 27 yrs. old. 
These treasures were clean and did not even smell musty !
The lock of hair was from the day she died of stomach cancer in 1947 when she was 42 yrs. old. They raised a family of 3 boys and 5 girls.

One branch done and sent off to 4 cousins ;)

In my long journey with genealogy I even had my own mtDNA done ! Turns out I'm directly related to a woman that lived 11,000-12,000 yrs. ago ! (speaking of years ;))

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful links to your grandparents - a tangible hint of their youth. My grandmother was very dear to me and I remember her with great fondness. Like so many people though, I only remember her from when she was about the same age as I am now. I really wish I had had the foresight to talk more to her about her early life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I surely treasure these mementos, which are now wrapped in lots of tissue in a secure little box. I wonder who will open it next ? Will everything be in good shape ? :)
    My gr.mother died 7 mos. before I was born (her first gr,child). There were 18 of us ... 15 remain.
    The one thing I regret is that I didn't ask more questions of my gr.father who lived with us until he died at 85.

    ReplyDelete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.