Apr 20, 2017

Introducing Esther Irene Deacon Currie ~ In Progress

Esther Irene Deacon was 13 years old when her mother passed away eleven days after giving birth to her seventh child. Excuse me if I am repeating myself. Esther is my third 'posterized', abstracted thread portrait in a line of, hopefully, six such portraits (or more).

some cosmetic surgery required beside her mouth and her cheek
sewing surgeon tools

Esther is my maternal grandmother, the sweetest little woman I ever knew. 
I didn't know her long as I was 13 yrs. old when she died of a heart attack in 1961. 
Esther was a farmers daughter and while her three little sisters were sent away to be raised by paternal aunts, she was kept on the farm to cook and help raise her 3 brothers ... at 13 !! I can't even begin to imagine the hardships she experienced.
At the age of 16, while helping a pregnant neighbour, Esther became versed in the art of mid-wifery. Word of mouth stories abound of the local doctor who usually arrived late and 'in his cups' when he was needed the most. The local women soon started calling Esther in advance of their impending births. Esther birthed a lot of babies in the county during her lifetime. 
She was very musical, as were all her brothers and sisters. Pianos, fiddles, banjos, juice harps (Jew's harp, jaw harp, mouth harp and/or Ozark Harp) vocals and whistling were their instruments.
Esther married my grandfather James Harold Currie, (the older brother of her best friend) when he came back from WWI. They had 4 daughters, 2 of which were still born. Her youngest daughter is going to be 83 yrs. old this August. 
Her oldest daughter, my mother, died in 1985. 
James Harold died in 1987 ... he was one month short of his 90th birthday.



6 comments:

  1. So wonderful of you ... thank you for visiting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pleasure it was to meet Esther Irene. She was by all accounts quite a lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very proud to be her granddaughter ;)
      It seems very nice to be able to introduce her to my friends and soon the public ... she is going into a fibre art show in July ;)

      Delete
  3. A good portrait to honor such a strong woman !
    Love to see you "working"

    (you removed your press foot ? Never stitched through your
    fingers ??? ... hope NOT !)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Els ;) She was a strong woman and I hope I have a little bit of that strength in me.

      Yes, I remove the presser foot ... gives me very clear vision of what I've just done and where I'm going to. My very first machine embroidery lesson was ... 'take your machine apart, clean it, put it back together ... don't replace presser foot, lower feed dogs, commence stitching'. I was terrified ! but, I managed and it wasn't until I became over-confident that I sent the needle through the nail on my index finger :(
      It hurt like heck and I had to tug hard to remove my finger from the needle ... but the needle didn't break ;)
      That was the first and only time ! (fingers crossed)

      Delete

Hi ! Thanks for visiting and I hope that you can leave a comment on my blog.
I appreciate this connection to you and I will endeavour to answer you as soon as possible.
Word verification has been removed for your convenience ... it is such a mood breaker !
Sharron.